Client Name: Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Role: General Medicine Consultant
Rates: £90-£110 per hour
Shifts: Monday to Friday 9-5
Location: The Great Western Hospital
- Over 5,000 new job requests received every week. Approved supplier on every NHS medical locum framework
- Priority access and first sight of large number of jobs across multiple NHS trusts/health boards
- Competitive pay rates
- Flexibility on jobs/shifts; long term jobs and short ad hoc shifts available
- A dedicated point of contact
- Free CPD courses and career support with Medacs Academy
- Lucrative referral scheme
- Revalidation support
- 24/7/365 service - we are available when you need us
- Access to The Support Hub - our support service to help support your mental health and wellbeing and enable you to deliver outstanding care.
As a General Medicine Doctor at Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, you will be responsible for patients of all ages and genders. You may have a specialism, however in this role, you will diagnose and treat a whole range of common diseases, injuries, and conditions. You will carry out tests and be able to interpret test results, offer preventative care, and make recommendations to patients that encourage a healthy lifestyle and wellbeing best practice. Dealing with both acute and long-term issues you will also make referrals to hospital consultants or other medical specialists as required.
The role of a General Medicine Doctor is sometimes complicated, often involving the management of multiple health problems in an individual at once. You will however get to know many of your patients well and providing them with solutions for improved health, wellbeing and independence can be extremely rewarding.
General key skills
In addition to your qualifications, as a General Medicine Doctor, you will have:
- Previous General Medicine experience would be beneficial but other specialist areas will be considered
- First class communication skills with different groups - ages, abilities, levels of seniority
- A good bedside manner, empathy and the ability to listen carefully to patients
- Excellent time management skills
- The ability to multitask and prioritise tasks
- Strong organisation skills
- The ability to work under pressure, to time constraints and in medical emergencies
- Ability to display resilience and stamina
- Excellent teamworking skills
- Decisiveness and ability to take ownership for decisions
As a General Medicine Doctor with Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust you will
- Be the first point of contact for members of the public with medical concerns
- Deal with queries face-to-face, over the phone or on email
- Be a source of medical and emotional support to patients
- Have the ability and knowledge to assess patients and provide accurate diagnoses
- Deliver bespoke, effective treatment plans
- Forge excellent relationships with team members (admin staff, support staff and medical colleagues)
- Communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and patients
- Complete all aspects of administration associated with your role
- Take ownership of the cases in your care, but also seeking second opinions/advice from peers when required
- Escalate any major physical, mental, or social concerns you may have about patients to the relevant establishment/authority
- Promote health and wellbeing best practices
- Act as a professional representative of your practice
- Remain up to date with the latest medical guidelines
- A full Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- Be a GMC registered Doctor
- 6 months recent NHS experience within the last 3 years.
- Hold evidence of stand-alone Right to Work in the UK (unfortunately locum jobs aren't able to offer visa sponsorship).
If you can remain calm when under pressure and show resilience when working with disgruntled or difficult patients, or when encountering highly pressured situations such as medical emergencies, then a job as a General Medicine Doctor could be for you. Apply today to work with Medacs Healthcare.