Client Name: Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Role: Locum Microbiology Consultant
Rates: £100-£120ph dependant on experience. PAYE only
Shifts: Full time or part time + up to 1:4 on calls. Full remote working available once Dr has collected laptop and been inducted on site. Clinical sessions include telephone consultations and validating bacteriology results.
Location: Blackpool or remote
- Access to The Support Hub - our support service to help support your mental health and well-being and enable you to deliver outstanding care
- First sight of shifts across multiple NHS trusts
- Competitive pay rates
- A dedicated placement officer
- Free CPD courses and career support with Medacs Academy
- Hundreds of new shifts available every day
- Long term jobs and short shifts available
- Lucrative referral scheme
- Revalidation support
- 24/7/365 support - we're here when you need us
As a consultant in Medical Microbiology, your skills, knowledge, and experience are critical in managing HIV/AIDS and other blood-borne infections such as hepatitis B and C and controlling the spread of infectious diseases. With a particular focus on reducing the spread of infections in hospitals (including hospital 'super bugs' such as MRSA and Clostridium Difficile) in addition to the current and newly emerging viruses around the globe such as SARS and avian flu.
Working flexibly within Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, you will enjoy close working relationships with your fellow healthcare professionals as you work to liaise between clinical colleagues in the hospital, GPs and laboratory staff while being a pillar of clinical and educational support for junior Microbiologists and Virologists.
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust takes their contribution to medical development and advancement seriously, especially in protecting public health through the ongoing monitoring of infectious disease patterns and the reporting of new or unusual infection occurrences. As a result, you will have access to some of the most advanced medical equipment in the country and unparalleled opportunities for specialism, research, and academia throughout your consultancy.
As a Microbiology Consultant with Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust you will:
- Provide highly complex advice to Consultants, Doctors, Nurses and other healthcare professionals on the guidance and management of patients with infectious diseases.
- Make clinical decisions involving the analysis, interpretation, and comparison of highly complex data, including antibiotic resistance analysis, analysis of tests, investigations and results.
- Take responsibility for regular visits to ITU and regular ward rounds.
- Undertake the day-to-day supervision of diagnostic methods, examination, and analysis of complex specimens.
- Participate in the out-of-hours advisory service on infection diagnosis and management as well as infection prevention issues.
- Work with the infection control teams and DIPCs on a local or regional basis, including liaison with the relevant health protection staff to investigate and prevent communicable diseases in the community.
- Assist in the investigation and control of community outbreaks.
- Provide advice in developing clinical guidelines, investigation protocols, laboratory SOPs and guidance on the appropriate use of antimicrobials.
- Communicating clinical information to explain findings, diagnosis and treatment options using various methods to ensure practical understanding.
- Communicate with patients and the wider multidisciplinary team on shared patient decision making.
- Work in and where appropriate, lead a multidisciplinary team.
- Assess and prioritise patient/client requirements, delegating effectively to others.
- Performing basic administrative and clerical tasks, such as keeping records of test results, providing information to patients, and monitoring treatment plans.
- Help teach and train other junior doctors and medical students and other members of the multidisciplinary team.
- Be a GMC registered Doctor (you do NOT need to be on the Specialist Register).
- Have relevant experience at Consultant level, or references to support your transition up to Consultant level.
- Hold evidence of stand-alone Right to Work in the UK (unfortunately locum jobs aren't able to offer visa sponsorship).
- You will need to pass an enhanced background check (DBS).
If you can demonstrate a commitment to the diagnosis and management of patients as well as education, research and development into the control and prevention of infection, you are precisely the type of Consultant Microbiologist Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust are looking for. Apply today.