Client Name: South London and Maudsley NHS FT
Role: Old Age Psychiatry Consultant
Rates: £90-£115 per hour
Location: Lewisham Hospital
- First sight of shifts across multiple NHS trusts
- Competitive pay rates
- A dedicated placement officer
- Free CPD courses and career support with Medacs Academy
- Hundreds of new shifts available every day
- Long term jobs and short shifts available
- Lucrative referral scheme
- Revalidation support
- 24/7/365 support - we're here when you need us
Are you a Consultant Old Age Psychiatrist looking for the perfect specialist clinical placement? The prestigious South London and Maudsley NHS has announced an exciting opening for a forward-thinking, progressive Old Age Psychiatry Consultant.
This sought-after opportunity promises to provide the right candidate with unrivalled opportunities for holistic and therapeutic practice, academia and research and we expect a high volume of prospective applicants.
As a Consultant Old Age Psychiatrist, your skills, knowledge, and experience are critical to the successful provision of psychiatric services for older patients or those with similar needs at Lewisham Hospital. Here you have extensive opportunities to provide clinical and educational support for junior doctors while also providing specialised and holistic assessment, treatment and continuing care for older patients who suffer from a range of mental health problems.
Working flexible shifts at Lewisham Hospital, you will enjoy close working relationships with your fellow consultancy team. Together you will seek to establish a common understanding of the various problems patients are experiencing, taking a lead role in setting strategic management plans and utilising your exceptional therapeutic skills to develop a constructive pathway to recovery.
The Lewisham Hospital takes their contribution to medical development and advancement seriously, emphasising excellence across the domains that matter the most to the wellbeing of older patients. As a result, you will have access to some of the most advanced medical facilities in the country and unparalleled opportunities for specialism, research, and academia throughout your consultancy.
In your role as a Consultant Old Age Psychiatrist, great reliance is placed upon your ability to demonstrate how the provision of critical, person-centred, individualised care that promotes independence and prioritises choice can transform lives.
General key skills
In addition to your qualifications, as an Old Age Psychiatric Consultant, you will have:
- Quick thinking abilities
- Patience and the ability to teach, coach and mentor
- Excellent attention to detail
- A systematic approach to tasks and delegation
- Excellent timekeeping
- A pro-active approach to research and academia
- Empathy and understanding
- A flexible attitude
- A dedication to improving and developing knowledge and skills
- Active listening skills
As an Old Age Psychiatric Consultant with South London and Maudsley NHS FT you will:
- Carry out new referral assessments, deliver therapy, refer to psychology colleagues for relevant interventions, or follow up patients for medication reviews.
- Formulate care and treatment plans, prescribe various types of treatment, and provide guidance on evidence-based treatment and effectiveness.
- Actively support patients and their families, communicating clinical information to explain a diagnosis and treatment options using various methods to ensure practical understanding.
- Communicate with patients and the wider multidisciplinary team on shared patient decision making.
- Work in and where appropriate, lead a multidisciplinary team.
- Assess and prioritise patient/client requirements, delegating effectively to others.
- Recognise, review, and report a patient's condition and any changes to the patient and the multidisciplinary team.
- Performing basic administrative and clerical tasks, such as keeping records of test results, writing prescriptions, providing information to patients, and monitoring treatment plans.
- Help teach and train other junior doctors, medical students, and other multidisciplinary team members.
- MBChB (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) or equivalent.
- Hold CCT or CESR at the time of interview or in an established training programme and within six months of CCT
- Inclusion on GMC's Specialist Register or within 6 months of CCT or CESR (CP) at interview.
- 6 months recent NHS experience within the last 3 years.
Increased life expectancy has resulted in a growing demand for dedicated senior psychiatry services, so, if you are dedicated to a consultancy placement that is focused on achieving the very best outcomes for elderly patients, we want to hear from you. Apply today.