Client Name: Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Trust
Role: Locum Stroke Medicine Consultant
Rates: £90-£110 per hour
Shifts: Monday to Friday 0800-1700
Location: Worthing Hospital
- Over 5,000 new job requests received every week.
- Approved supplier on every NHS medical locum framework
- Priority access and first sight of large number of jobs across multiple NHS trusts/health boards
- Competitive pay rates
- Flexibility on jobs/shifts; long term jobs and short ad hoc shifts available
- A dedicated point of contact
- Free CPD courses and career support with Medacs Academy
- Lucrative referral scheme
- Revalidation support
- 24/7/365 service - we are available when you need us
- Access to The Support Hub - our support service to help support your mental health and well being and enable you to deliver outstanding care.
As a Consultant in stroke medicine, your skills, knowledge, and experience are critical to the successful acute care and rehabilitation provision at Worthing Hospital. Here you will be utilising a range of clinical skills including; cardiovascular disease, general and geriatric medicine, rehabilitation and palliative care, while being a pillar of clinical and educational support for junior doctors.
Working flexible shifts as a locum Consultant at Worthing Hospital, you will work to help patients adapt to the impact of their health problems following stroke and to manage their condition. You will be working closely with vascular surgeons and neurosurgeons, referring patients for surgery and increasingly with interventional neuroradiologists, referring patients for clot retrieval therapy.
The Worthing Hospital takes their contribution to medical development and advancement seriously, especially as stroke results in a range of debilitating symptoms and is the most common cause of death and disability in the UK, accounting for over 5% of NHS resources. As a result, you will have access to some of the most advanced medical equipment in the country and unparalleled opportunities for specialism, research and academia throughout your consultancy.
In your role as a locum Consultant, great reliance is placed upon your ability to demonstrate how critical specialist skills and communication combine to transform lives and help patients to regain their strength and recover functionality, enabling them to return to their normal daily activities.
General key skills
In addition to your qualifications, as a Stroke Medicine Consultant, you will have:
- Quick thinking abilities
- Patience and the ability to teach, coach and mentor
- Excellent attention to detail
- A systematic approach to tasks and delegation
- Excellent timekeeping
- A pro-active approach to research and academia
- Empathy and understanding
- A flexible attitude
- A dedication to improving and developing knowledge and skills
- Active listening skills
As a locum Stroke Medicine Consultant with Worthing Hospital you will:
- Actively support patients and their families, communicating clinical information to explain a diagnosis and treatment options using various methods to ensure practical understanding.
- Coordinate treatment plans and prescribe various types of treatment.
- Provide constant monitoring and care for patients.
- Communicate with patients and the wider multidisciplinary team on shared patient decision making.
- Work in and where appropriate, lead a multidisciplinary team.
- Assess and prioritise patient/client requirements, delegating effectively to others.
- Recognise, review, and report a patient's condition and any changes to the patient and the multidisciplinary team.
- Performing basic administrative and clerical tasks, such as keeping records of test results, writing prescriptions, providing information to patients, and monitoring treatment plans.
- Help teach and train other junior doctors and medical students and other members of the multidisciplinary team.
- MBChB (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) or equivalent.
- 6 months recent NHS experience within the last 3 years.
- Be a GMC registered Doctor
- Have relevant experience at Consultant level, or references to support your transition up to Consultant level.
- Hold evidence of stand-alone Right to Work in the UK (unfortunately locum jobs aren't able to offer visa sponsorship).
- You will need to pass an enhanced background check (DBS).
So, if you are dedicated to achieving the very best outcomes by combining skill and expertise with your ability to teach, coach and mentor junior medical staff, we want to hear from you. Apply today.