Candidates needed ASAP PURPOSE OF JOB:Our client is seeking dedicated, ambitious, and driven Medical Laboratory Assistants to join their workforce operations as part of an...
Candidates needed ASAP
PURPOSE OF JOB:
Our client is seeking dedicated, ambitious, and driven Medical Laboratory Assistants to join their workforce operations as part of an exciting project based in Slough.
The ideal candidate will live within the Slough area. We are only considering applications for those who are within the area or reasonable commuting distance.
Candidates will be required to liaise with other members of staff to provide an efficient and effective service to all users of the Pathology department. To ensure the rapid and timely turnaround of Pathology samples by receiving, labelling, and entering onto the Pathology computer system.
Candidates will need to be fully available and flexible as the hospital operates on a 24/7 basis. All candidates will be scheduled to work 5 days in a week including weekends, on a rota basis. Rotas will be published one week in advance.
- To maintain good communication with the Specimen Reception Team Leader in order to minimise errors and maximise efficiency through agreed priorities and to achieve the aim of completing all work within the working day.
- To maintain a close working relationship with senior laboratory staff.
- To assist in the electronic production and distribution of Pathology reports by post or fax.
- To deal with telephone enquires directed to Specimen Reception to give Pathology results for Haematology, Biochemistry and Microbiology, where appropriate and to re-direct calls to the various laboratories.
- Verbal contact with external laboratories on those tests not performed in-house.
- To inform relevant requesting Consultants, Doctors or nursing staff over the phone and face-to-face when incorrect sample or information is received.
- To provide information to all users on the appropriate specimen collection procedure, under the guidelines of the Pathology Handbook.
- To provide information to patients over the telephone and face-to-face regarding 24 hour urine collection. To also refer patients requesting results to the appropriate requesting clinician.
- To receive all visitors to the laboratory in a professional and courteous manner.
- To undertake those procedures necessary for sample preparation and storage, including use of pipettes to separate or add solution to samples.
- Prepare sample containers and maintain stocks of laboratory consumables.
- The use and maintenance of all relevant equipment including centrifuges, necessary for the preparation of samples and requests.
- To participate, when required, in the performance of simple designated tests, including those performed on Point of Care analysers.
- To assist in the training of new staff.
- To follow laboratory procedures to condemn inadequate or mislabelled samples.
- To arrange preparation, packaging and transportation for those tests to be sent to other laboratories for analysis.
- To ensure samples for clinical trials are processed and stored appropriately.
- To accurately type into the Pathology computer system, patient details and tests required relating to Biochemistry, Haematology and Microbiology.
- To accurately type the results of tests performed at other laboratories onto the Pathology computer system.
- To file request forms, reports and other records, ensuring they are filed according to laboratory needs so that retrieval or information is quick and effective.
- To assume responsibility for the smooth operation of the air-tube system, investigating and recording faults where necessary.
- To assist in the receiving, unpacking and sorting of pathology consumables and reagents
- used in specimen analysis.
- To participate in the collation of pathology consumables to be distributed to all ward and
- clinic areas.