Medacs Healthcare

UK Doctor Job Requirements

To work as a doctor in the United Kingdom, you must be registered with the General Medical Council (GMC) and sit the UKVI Academic IELTS or OET exams.

There are several options when it comes to registering with the GMC. One route is the PLAB test (Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board) which demonstrates that you have the necessary skills and knowledge to practice medicine in the UK.

If you have studied a recognised UK or European postgraduate examination such as MRCEM (Member of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine) or MRCP (Member of the Royal College of Physicians) then the PLAB test is not required as this, alongside IELTS or OET, grants eligibility for GMC registration. 

Obtaining a UK visa

Before moving to the UK, you will need to obtain a Tier 2 visa. This allows you to remain in the country for up to five years and can be extended if required. 

Our clients provide full sponsorship for Tier 2 visas and we offer plenty of advice and assistance throughout the application process.


  “Passing the PLAB and MRCP exam, obtaining GMC registration and visas are all major hurdles, but if you are good enough the UK can offer you much safer placements, better financial dividends and greater career development compared to most other English speaking countries.”   - Dr Partha Sarathi Mukherjee, Former Senior NHS Specialist Registrar and Acute Medicine Consultant, India


Apply Now

Are you interested in applying for doctor jobs in the UK? If so, Medacs Healthcare has a wide range of exciting opportunities on offer and we can even help with your relocation. Simply complete the form below and one of our dedicated recruitment consultants will contact you.

Relevant Links

  • Relocating to the UK as a Doctor


Read More

Latest Blog Posts

Read More