Are you are looking for an exciting new role where you will diagnose and treat a whole range of common diseases, injuries and conditions? Are you keen to be involved not just in the physical aspects of people’s health, but mental and social elements too? Then a job in Acute and General Medicine within a large and varied NHS foundation trust may be just what you’re looking for.
As an Acute and General Medicine Consultant you will spend the majority of your time working between an acute medical unit, medical admissions unit and a medical ward managing patients with a wide range of clinical problems. Your day will involve reviewing newly admitted patients, as well as providing care for patients awaiting an operation but who have an acute illness.
It’s essential that you have a broad array of medical knowledge – not only physical aspects of people’s health, but mental and social elements too. Acute and General Medicine Doctors and Consultants have an additional duty to report any safeguarding issues to the relevant authorities.
Qualifications, experience and key skills needed for Acute and General Medicine jobs
- MBChB (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) or equivalent
- A two-year foundation programme of general training
- 6 months’ NHS experience within the last 3 years
- Previous General Medicine experience would be beneficial, but other specialist areas will be considered
In addition to your qualifications, as a General Medicine Consultant, you will have:
- First class communication skills with different groups – ages, abilities and levels of seniority
- A good bedside manner, empathy and the ability to listen carefully to patients
- Excellent time management skills
- The ability to multitask and prioritise tasks
- Strong organisation skills
- The ability to work under pressure, to time constraints and in medical emergencies
- Resilience and stamina
- Excellent teamworking skills
- Decisiveness and the ability to take ownership for decisions
Work in a fast-paced Emergency Assessment Unit as an Acute and General Medicine Doctor or Consultant
Working flexible shifts at York and Scarborough Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, you will join clinical teams on the acute floor, which encompasses the acute medical unit and the new fast-paced Emergency Assessment Unit (EAU).
Medacs Healthcare has lots of locum shifts available for Acute and General Medicine Consultants at York and Scarborough Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. At Medacs, we receive over 1,000 new jobs in medicine every day, so whatever your specialism, experience and ambition, there are plenty of opportunities for you. You’ll also have a dedicated placement officer who will help you negotiate the best pay, gain flexibility on when and where you work, and provide specialist support to help you with revalidation.